40+ Profitable Agriculture Business Ideas
Agribusiness is the business of agricultural production. The term was coined in 1957 by Goldberg and Davis. It includes agrichemicals, breeding, crop production (farming and contract farming), distribution, farm machinery, processing, and seed supply, as well as marketing and retail sales.
Agriculture is one of the evergreen sectors that would continue in the normal way even when there is a global recession. There are hundred’s of agriculture related business ideas that are emerging now. While some agriculture business needs low investment, some require medium to large investment. If you are planning to start an agriculture related business and looking for list of agriculture related small business ideas, this article is for you.
1) Agriculture farm
If you have an empty land suitable for farming, you can start with an agricultural farm. Items that are demanded locally can be produced on it. Maintaining good quality can fetch you high profits.
3) Organic fertilizer production
Vermicompost or organic fertilizer production has become a household business. It does not require much investment and very easy to initiate with a little know-how of the production process.
4) Business of fertilizer distribution
This business is suitable for people who live in small towns or rural areas. In this business, you are required to buy fertilizers from big cities and make them available in rural areas. This could be one of the best small agricultural business ideas in India to start in small towns.
5) Dry flower business
The business of dry flowers has flourished over the last 10 years. If you have vacant land, you can grow flowers, make them dry and sell to craft stores or hobbyists.
6) Mushroom farming
The business of growing mushrooms can fetch you big profits in a short period of time. It can be started with low investment and it requires less space also. Mushrooms are in great demand at hotels, restaurants, and households.
7) Poultry farming
The poultry farming business has transformed into a techno-commercial industry. In the last few decades, it is one of the fastest-growing industries. If you are looking for small farm income ideas, this could be best fit for you.
8) Hydroponic retail store
Hydroponics is a new plantation technology that does not use soil for growing plants. A hydroponic retail store deals in hydroponic equipment and also develops plants to be sold for both commercial and home use.
9) Organic greenhouse
An organic greenhouse business has good potential to grow because the demand for organically grown products has been increasing consistently. Beforehand, this business was done on small family-run farms, but with increasing demand as people are now buying land for making organic greenhouse.
With the increasing awareness for health, the demand for honey is growing day by day. This way, beekeeping has become a great business opportunity. This business demands day-to-day monitoring of the bees with close supervision.
11) Fish farming – Commercial fish farming business is a very lucrative business that can fetch a huge amount of money. With the implementation of modern techniques, production and quality can be enhanced to a great deal. This is one of the most lucrative Agro business ideas that require moderate to high investment to start.
12) Snail farming – Snail farming business is the process of raising land snails for human consumption. Snails contain a high rate of protein, iron, low fat, and almost all the amino acids needed for the human body. Keeping their nutrient value in mind, they are in high demand. This business opportunity demands discipline and specific knowledge of modern technology.
13) Fruit and Vegetable export – You can initiate the business of exporting fruit and vegetables in which you have to collect fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers and sell them internationally. For this business, you need to know the import and export policies as well as local markets. This is one of the best agriculture export business ideas to start.
14) Become a florist – Selling flowers are a very profitable retail business. Flower arrangement and bouquets are always in high demand for gifting, at weddings, etc. With some innovation and creativity. You can do wonders in this business.
15) Broom production – For centuries, the broom has been used for sweeping up the floor and removing the dirt and dust in and around workplaces and homes. The process of broom production is quite simple and the project can be initiated with low capital investment. Maintaining a good quality and competitive prices can give you good profits in a short span of time.
16) Fruit juice production – The production process of fruit juice is quite simple and can be initiated with low investment. This business has a huge market opportunity. Hygiene, taste, and quality of fruit have to be kept in mind while starting this business.
17) Groundnut processing – If you can procure good quality raw material (groundnuts) for this business, you can initiate it with moderate capital. Processed groundnuts have very good market potential all over the world.
18) Quail farming – Quail farming is about raising quails for profitable eggs and meat. At the global levels, quail farming business is gaining importance as it fulfills daily family nutrition demand.
19) Tea plantation – With the increasing demand for tea leaves, this business has huge potential. Tea plants typically required acidic soil and heavy rainfall, although they can be grown anywhere from sea level to high altitudes. So, if your demographic situation is suitable for growing tea, you should go in this business. This is one of the good agriculture business ideas in India that requires high capital.
20) Grocery shopping portal – With the advent of technology and E-Commerce, people find it very wasteful to spend hours buying day-to-day groceries. They prefer ordering groceries to be delivered at their doorsteps so one can start with an E-shopping portal that delivers groceries.
21) Farming of medicinal herbs – Growing of medicinal herbs at the commercial level is one of the most profitable agriculture business ideas. If you possess good knowledge about the herbs and have sufficient land, you can initiate the farming of medicinal herbs. You may need to take certain licenses from local government in the case of medicinal herb business.
22) Cactus arrangement – Cactus has been extensively used as a decor item, either indoor or outdoor. Many cactus plants can coexist happily in the same container. So, with a touch of creativity, you can make beautiful cactus arrangements. It is a very profitable and self-rewarding business.
23) Jatropha farming – Jatropha has been used as a raw material for producing biodiesel. It is one of the most trending money making agriculture business ideas in India, as very few people know about it. By doing some research and gaining some knowledge, you can easily start with this business.
24) Corn Farming – Corn or maize has emerged as one of the most versatile crops that can be grown under varied climatic conditions. Maize is known as the Queen of cereals as it has the highest genetic potential amongst the family. By implementing modern technology and good quality seeds, one can obtain a bumper crop.
25) Potato powder – potato powder is extensively used in the snack food industry. It can be used in any recipe where mashed potatoes are required. It is used as a thickener in ready to eat vegetable gravies and soups.
26) Goat Farming – Goat is one of the main meat-producing animals used globally. For this reason, goat rearing has been flourishing as an economic industry with good prospects.
27) Soil Testing – Soil testing is a technique used for monitoring the nutrients present in the soil is well as for making precise fertilizer recommendations for different crops. Establishing a soil testing laboratory with Government certification is one of the best small farm business ideas.
28) Agro blogging – If you possess good knowledge about agriculture with a niche in writing, you can always try for agro-blogging. It contains blogs related to agriculture and farming. With the advent of the internet in rural areas, farmers have started using technology to improve their farming skills. They need fair advice on their agricultural problems. This is one of the best agricultural related business ideas to start with zero to low investment.
29) Fodder farming Business – The term fodder is used for the food given to domestic animals for feeding and not the food they graze by themselves. There are plants grown particularly for this purpose like barley, oats, alfalfa, etc. Fodder is used to feed animals like cows, goats, pigs, horses, etc. and always in great demand.
30) Rose farming – Rose is a flower with high commercial value. It is used in flower arrangements and bouquets on a large scale. If you are interested in gardening, you can turn it into a profitable business. It can be initiated on a small piece of land.
31) Rabbit farming – Rearing of rabbits has been started on a commercial level. Angora rabbits are mainly raised for their wool and well known for quality. Rabbits are the best producers of wool on per kg body weight basis.
32) Agriculture consultancy – if you are an expert in a specific field of farming, you can adopt the business of agriculture consultancy. This business is flourishing day by day as farmers need expert advice at many stages.
33) Dairy farming – Demand for milk and milk products can never go down. Commercial dairy farming is one of the most profitable agriculture-based business ideas. Apart from milk, it produces manure in huge quantities. Hygiene and quality should be always kept in mind while doing this business.
34) Spice processing – Organic spices are in high demand locally as well as internationally. The processing and packaging methods are not very complex and can be initiated with moderate capital.
35) Vegetable farming – If you have sufficient land and manpower, you can start with vegetable farming. Vegetables produced with good quality seeds and fertilizers yield good crops and give good returns. If you are thinking about small farm income ideas, you can shortlist this business idea.
36) Soya beans farming – Soya bean is required to produce soya milk, soya flour, soya sauce, soya bean oil, etc. If you have small vacant land, soya bean farming can be initiated to convert it into a profitable business.
37) Landscape expert – Landscape expert is the one who has good knowledge of landscape architecture. It encompasses activities like site analysis, land planning, planting design, storm water management, construction specification. They ensure that the plan meets all the current building codes and all the statutory compliance.
38) Tilapia farming – Tilapia is a kind of fish whose demand is escalating steadily especially in the USA. You can start this highly profitable business.
39) Horticulture crop farming – Horticulturists produce fruits, plants, and vegetables, flowers in greenhouses, and nurseries with highly specialized knowledge. The selection of the crops and method is very important in this business.
40) Certified seed dealer – Seed certification is a process of quality check whereby the seeds are inspected and checked with proper process. In simple words, the system certifies that a box or packet of seed is in accordance with the requirements of a certification scheme. You can start a business that sells only certified seed. There are a few formalities to establish this business. You do not need any land for it. It can be initiated by contract farming.
41) Greenhouse flower export – Many people establish a greenhouse for producing only export-oriented flowers. It is one of the most profitable business ideas it requires substantial capital investment and good knowledge about the process.